Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Sweet Peas and the Butterfly Punch with a Picture Tutorial!

Hi everyone!

It seems like ages since I've had time to share something and I'm so excited about this card! I made these flowers with the butterfly punch! I've been having so much fun making pansies with the butterfly punch and so I thought...hmmm....why not try a Sweet Pea as they are one of my favourite flowers. What do you think? Didn't they turn out cute?  I haven't seen these made anywhere, so I hope you enjoy them!


 
This Sweet Pea stamp (from the Occcasions Mini) is absolutley perfect for this card!!  Love it!!  I used the end of my stylus and dipped it in the lid of my Frost White Shimmer Paint to make the little dots around the pink Scalloped Oval Punch...so pretty!

Here is a close up of my flowers:

These were so easy to do.  Here's a picture tutorial on how I made them. 

First you need to punch out a couple of butterfly shapes in different colours.  I ran them under the tap, or you could spritz them with water if you like....I was in a hurry!  Then crumple each butterfly into a ball and unravel it. I did the same thing with the  5 Petal Punch and the leaves on the stems are the wings from the new XL Two Step Bird Punch.

One butterfly makes a flower, fold the wet, uncrumpled piece in half and shape it with your fingers.


 
Once you've folded your butterfly in half, then pinch the end together and set it aside to dry. If you'd like to make a Sweet Pea bud, then take half of the butterfly and gently roll it up, pinching the ends as shown in the picture.

Here you can see my different colours of flowers as well as a couple of buds and my 5 Star punch which I will cut into individual petals to attach to each flower and bud.


Once they are dry,  I cut the petals of the 5 Petal Punch out, cutting towards the middle so I will have 5 individual petals.  After shaping with my fingers, and adjusting it to fit on the bottom of the pinched sweet pea flower, I used my mini glue gun to secure it into place.

 

I tucked the excess parts of the green petal behind the flower and pinched so the hot glue (which isn't really hot at this point...but still be careful not to burn yourself!) holds it nicely.



Here's another card I did and I created the Seed Packet on Microsoft Word using a Text Box...and couldn't resist using my sweet little kitty's name on the seed packet....LilyBean...she's such a cutie and Sweet Pea is one of my names for her too!!

 

Again, here is a close up of the flowers.  For the stems I cut strips of Old Olive Carstock and the little wispy tendrils are floral wire that I curled around a pen.  I also added Bashful Blue Satin Ribbon to the bottom of the seed packet for a finishing touch.

I hope you like my tutorial and hope it inspires you to make some Sweet Peas too! 

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your time with me!
Judy

48 comments:

  1. wow, you rock! I gotta learn how to do this. I am also so happy to see somebody else in BC, wooop wooop

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't you clever!!! I love that you crumbled all the paper, it makes it so much more "life-like".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!!! I had a thought about making these...you just saved me TONS of time! lol! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome tutorial Judy!! I love how the flowers look so soft and real. Thanks again for the gread idea and the tutorial!!
    Lorraine Castellon-Rowe
    www.lorrainerowe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous flowers! I will have to try them with the butterfly punch. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely beautiful! They are my fav flower too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These flowers really are gorgeous and I love that you shared your directions. Thanks bunches!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE IT, LOVE THEM, LOVE YOU for sharing.

    I gotta make a seed packet, I gotta make flowers. If my family starves tonight it is YOUR fault.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeous! I totally agree with Ellen Kemper - this is a stamping emergency, out ranks meal making etc. etc.
    Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so gorgeous!!! What a brilliant idea! Thanks so much for sharing and for the tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are beautiful, and you did a great job on the tutorial. It is going into my "saved" folder.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! What a great idea, and they are soooo beautiful! thanks for sharing how you made them too, can't wait to try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice! Thanks for sharing it along with your instructions. I love to see the punches used in different ways.
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are stinkin cute!! I love sweet peas best. Thanks so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are fabulous! Thank-you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this - thank you so much for the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh these are real beauties!!! Thanks for the tutorial! I have a few "scrapbookers" that love the punches, but are always looking for ideas before buying the punch. I cannot blame them, wise investment!
    Thank you again for sharing, and now I get to unwrap the butterfly punch myself!

    Chera
    greetingsbychera.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow these are amazing!!! I will have to try them myself. Thanks so much for showing us how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG these are gorgeous Judy - want to come to my downline meeting and demo for us? :)

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my word!!! FABULOUS~~ I just love sweet peas!
    Am I reading it right that you also created the
    "seed package" for the cardfront.
    Brilliant, don't know if I can bribe my kids
    to make me one on the computer for me.
    ( I am sooo not a computer person!!)
    Love the instructions,my hair is not even
    combed but I'm off to punch out some flowers
    and give it a try- that's priority right!LOL
    Jennifer, Calgary, ALberta

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love these, they are great! I copied them and linked you on my blog! You can see it here if you want to:
    http://stampndesign.blogspot.com/2010/04/sweat-peas-with-butterfly-punch.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. these are so stinking cute!!!!!!!!!! Love it thanksfor the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a gorgeous technique! Thank you for sharing with all of us in blogland. I hopped over to your site from Lynn Pratt's blog. I visit her regularly, but now I will have to visit you regularly too!

    I was surprised to see you live in Port Moody. I live in Madison, WI and follow the University's hockey team. Two of my favorite players from years past were childhood friends from Port Moody. Such a small world!

    ReplyDelete
  24. AMAZING! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hopped over from Lynn's also. Nice to see another BCer (Surrey here) These are wonderful!! Thank you so much for sharing your tutorial. So sooo pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are stunning, Judy! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Heather (Isaiah40:31 on SCS)April 25, 2010 at 12:41 PM

    I'm always amazed at what others "see" in their punches! Thanks for thinking "outside of the punch" - and then sharing it with those of us who don't have that "vision"... :) Heather

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are FABULOUS!!! pretty card.. will have to show my friend who's daughter's nickname is "sweet pea". :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. LOVE THIS!!! I can't wait to try it!!! Thank you for sharing this wonderful tutorial with all of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. So what punch did you use? Make, name, etc. Please provide.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi MaggiLiz...I couldn't find your email so will reply here. All punches are Stampin'Up!, the Butterfly, 5 petal, and the XL Two Step Bird Punch. Hope that helps!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your Sweet Pea's take my breath away! Too beautiful for words. Thank you for the great tutorial! I can't wait to try them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  33. WOW!!! Your Sweet Peas are awesome, as is you card. Thanks so much for sharing how you made them. I can't wait to make some. Yes, they are too beautiful for words!!! Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow! I love it. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful tutorial Judy. I have now shared it with most of New Zealand. I have, of course, linked my blog back to you so everyone can see your wonderful creations for themselves!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. These are amazing. I'm certainly going to have to give them a go.

    Just love the card you've made with them. Very realistic.

    Thanks for the tutorial

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm one of Paula's "ladies" and we are going to make this card at our next class. Such beautiful pictures, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for a wonderful tutorial and idea!!! Sweet peas are my fave flower and I just made a bazillion of them.... They are travelling in a box on a card front as a bouquet for my Mom in Sasaktchewan as a mother's day card.
    Totally aswesome!

    ReplyDelete
  39. PS I don't have the punches you used so I ended up using 2 heart punches - one for the petals and the other for the green bits. I looked at the butterfly punch and it looked like 2 hearts joined together. But now I want the butterfly punch and I've always wanted to get the 5 petal flower. Once again... awesome idea and tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Judy, thank you for such a nice card. I was at a class at Alison's yesterday and made this card.She said you would share your seed package template with us. Would you?
    Many thanks, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  41. Jeannie RomaenelloJuly 30, 2010 at 4:49 AM

    You have inspired me! Thank you so much for sharing your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  42. OMW these are fantastic! I can even smell them now :) TFS
    Helen -- Firenze Cards

    ReplyDelete
  43. Awesome!!! Beautiful job and beautiful card!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. very pretty! I love the flowers. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  45. Sweet peas are a favorite of mine—thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Absolutely Brilliant! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete